Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 3 PM
    70 °
  • 4 PM
    70 °
  • 5 PM
    69 °
  • 6 PM
    65 °
  • 7 PM
    62 °
  • 8 PM
    59 °
  • 9 PM
    56 °
  • 10 PM
    55 °
  • 11 PM
    54 °
  • 12 AM
    53 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
  • 3 AM
    51 °
  • 4 AM
    50 °
  • 5 AM
    50 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    53 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    60 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    63 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
May 13
71°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
May 14
66°/ 50°
Sunny
May 15
64°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Advanced Placement and Concurrent Enrollment

College Opportunities for High School Cadets
Cadets+discuss+a+topic+during+Mr.+Dockters+College+English+1010+class.+
Cadets discuss a topic during Mr. Dockter’s College English 1010 class.

The Utah Military Academy is known as a college preparatory school. This means that the Utah Military Academy ensures to add a college level curriculum to get cadets ready for future endeavors in the college and university setting. The CE and AP classes from this year have helped teachers realize the potential of adding even more classes to help cadets have that preparation for what they would experience with their after high school education.

Through UMA, we have multiple college level classes that are taught by our amazing teachers. These classes include:

Teachers Classes they Teach
Mrs. Carter CE Art
Mrs. McCutchan CE Geology and AP Environmental Science
Mr. Dockter AP English and CE English
Mr. Storm AP Computer Science Principles, CE Exploring Computer Science, and CE Game Development
Mr. Summers AP Psychology
Mr. Gabriele AP Biology
Mrs. Nielsen AP Calculus and AP Statistics

Mr. Dockter says that you have to take English 1010 to take 2015. However, if you are a junior who took AP English class and passed the AP test, you can immediately go into 2015, which won’t be offered until the spring of 2025.

The benefits of taking individual college level classes pays off for the workload it has. Mr. Gabriele says that “AP Biology is open to grades 9th to 12th. A lot of colleges look at doing a class like that. It allows the college to gauge your readiness. They want to see your rigor and your growth inside of these classes. It helps to grow your mind and patience as well.” 

With the upcoming school year, UMA has multiple changes that they are trying to implement. Mr. Storm plans on continuing his CE classes, but also plans on adding a new class of CE Computer Programming. UMA also plans on having AP Pre-Calculus which would be taught by Mrs. Lewis, and possibly college math 1050 from Weber State University a few years down the road.

Mrs. Pemberton adds that the school might not offer AP psychology due to complications with scheduling. She adds that If the Utah Military Academy does not have a college class that a cadet would want, they can see if Weber State University has that curriculum. The cost is the full cost but UMA can help you earn a scholarship to cover that tuition. For information on that, talk to Mrs. Horning. 

These classes are all subject to change because of possibilities with the cadets and the teachers in the future. This means we can have a small population taking a college class or have a fluctuation inside of the cadet core where resources need to be allocated elsewhere. It is important to utilize these classes and make sure that you are getting the best experience possible from the Utah Military Academy.