Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    64 °
  • 6 PM
    63 °
  • 7 PM
    60 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
  • 9 PM
    54 °
  • 10 PM
    52 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    51 °
  • 1 AM
    50 °
  • 2 AM
    50 °
  • 3 AM
    50 °
  • 4 AM
    49 °
  • 5 AM
    49 °
  • 6 AM
    49 °
  • 7 AM
    51 °
  • 8 AM
    53 °
  • 9 AM
    56 °
  • 10 AM
    57 °
  • 11 AM
    59 °
  • 12 PM
    60 °
  • 1 PM
    61 °
  • 2 PM
    62 °
  • 3 PM
    63 °
  • 4 PM
    63 °
May 14
65°/ 50°
Sunny
May 15
63°/ 48°
Sunny
May 16
66°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Las Vegas Baby!

Biggest Indoor Archery Tournament in the World

The thrum of bow strings; arrows flying through the air. Both of these things that you can expect at the Vegas shoot. The 58th Vegas Shoot took place on February 1-4, 2024 at the South Point Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.

According to NFAA, “The Vegas Shoot is the World’s largest indoor archery tournament”. Attending this large tournament were two members of the UMA archery team,  Cadet Meredith Leaverton and Cadet Severin Glenn. Cadet Anika Ellis also attended the tournament as a supporter and spectator.

Being such a large event, there are many things to consider when deciding to enter the competition. There are many categories that one can sign up under. The one that Leaverton signed up for was Compound, Open. The two main categories that most people, of the 16-18 age group, would compete in are COYAM and COYAF. Otherwise known as “compound young adult male” and “compound young adult female” respectively.

These categories allow for more “fair” scoring. Pitting people of similar age groups and equipment together to make for a better experience. Yet going through the process of signing up for a category can be very complicated. At times it can feel like trying to pour water into a bucket with a hole with it. Once finished, however, archers are allowed to compete in their category. 

The Vegas Shoot experience can be a very awe inspiring one. Thousands of people come from all over the world to shoot in this competition. Many people say that it’s an amazing experience, whether they’re shooting or not. 

Leaverton has gone through this experience numerous times. In her words the experience is, “High stress, but with people who care and supporting fun and crazy all at once.”

Despite shooting individually, everyone there was part of the JOAD (Junior Olympic Archery Division). Though not everyone was from UMA, they all did their best in their part of the competition. Within the UMA archery team, Leaverton got 2nd in her group, and  Glenn got 92nd in his group. 

In the words of our coach, Coach Sage, “They did good. They improved their scores from last time (the previous days of competition).” 

The Vegas is an event that is held annually. Most of the people that attend are archers, but there are a few spectators. One such spectator, Anika Ellis went this year so she could learn what the Vegas Shoot was like. In her words, the Vegas Shoot, “looked like a giant home show or fair.”

Cadet Glenn poses as he prepares for the starting line.