Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 7 PM
    60 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
  • 10 PM
    54 °
  • 11 PM
    53 °
  • 12 AM
    52 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
  • 3 AM
    50 °
  • 4 AM
    50 °
  • 5 AM
    50 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    53 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    61 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    63 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    66 °
  • 6 PM
    65 °
  • 7 PM
    61 °
May 13
71°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
May 14
66°/ 49°
Sunny
May 15
62°/ 49°
Patchy rain nearby
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

AFJROTC Inspection Update

Information about our incoming inspection
Students stand in formation as they applaud.

The JROTC Department is diligently preparing for the upcoming Headquarters Inspection on October 25. As this date approaches, cadets must prepare themselves with essential information to ensure the inspection goes well and UMA exceeds standards.

A pivotal part of preparation for the cadets is the inspection schedule. The inspection will span the entire day, but there are still set times where things will be happening. The information that cadets need to know goes as follows;

Seventh Grade Cadets: Amazing news for 7th graders! They are not required to show up to school until 10:00 AM. This gives ample time for the inspectors to finish the areas of the inspection where all JROTC Cadets are in one area. If cadets in 7th grade show up, they will likely have to do IXL until classes start.

All Other Cadets: For cadets in grades above 7th, the day occurs much earlier, at 8:15 AM just like normal. For the start of the day, all cadets must report to their flight rooms.

Juliet flight stand as they’re inspected for uniform infractions.

During the formation at the beginning of the day, each cadet will be inspected. The inspectors want to be quick but thorough with this. This means that all the cadets who do not have hair that is in regulations will count against everyone’s score for the inspection. Following the formation, the bleachers will be pulled out and cadets will sit with their flights to watch the 30 count drill sequence. Following this the inspectors will give a few words of wisdom and hand out top performer certificates to cadets who have earned this award.

Mr. Buck
Mr. Allen

Pictured here are Mr. Allen and Mr. Buck. These are going to be the inspectors for this year’s inspection, one of the inspectors for AFJROTC.

There is a possibility that throughout the day cadets may be approached by an inspector and questioned. Cadets should not panic when this happens. The SMART Cards they were given at the beginning of the year, and will be given again prior to the inspection, has most of the information the inspectors might ask.

As long as cadets know all of this information, the unit will do okay for the inspection. During a meeting last week with the inspectors they mentioned that Section 6 of the inspection is the most important. This section we are doing well in, except for uniform wear. It is imperative that cadets get their hair cuts before the day of the inspection.

Many cadets are currently wondering why they should care about the inspection and many cadets have decided that they do not care. Wing Inspector General, Cadet Major Jace Greenamyer said, “This inspection is very important because it does not affect just the cadet, it affects the future of UMA.” The inspection this year will determine how much funding our unit receives, the awards we get, and even UMA’s ability to stay as a military school.

The JROTC class practices drill on the Drill Pad.

Major Workman says, “Hair standards, a clean uniform, wearing your hats outside, and behaving are the most important parts of the inspection for most cadets.” Which is why, on October 25, cadets must have their uniforms prepared down to the last detail. If a cadet can simply be prepared for individual inspections and demonstrate confidence when talking with the inspector, then they will help secure the success of UMA’s future.