Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 5 PM
    69 °
  • 6 PM
    65 °
  • 7 PM
    62 °
  • 8 PM
    59 °
  • 9 PM
    56 °
  • 10 PM
    55 °
  • 11 PM
    54 °
  • 12 AM
    53 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
  • 3 AM
    51 °
  • 4 AM
    50 °
  • 5 AM
    50 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    53 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    60 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    63 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    65 °
May 13
71°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
May 14
66°/ 50°
Sunny
May 15
64°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Marine Incoming!!

Lt. Leckman’s Adventure with UMA
Marine+Incoming%21%21

“Leadership, teamwork, and having a positive attitude are the skills you will need in every area of life!” states Lt. Leckman.  1st Lt (CAP) Matt Leckman is UMA’s newest JROTC teacher and Echo flight’s instructor. Lt Leckman has a few different team times including Airsoft Club and Raiders. 

Originally, Lt. Leckman served in the Marines, the Army, and then Private and Public Armed Security. He served for at least a year for each branch. In the Marines, he was in the infantry unit. In the army, he was going to be in the special forces radio communicating unit but was hurt during his training. 

Leckman joined UMA because of CAP Lt. Col. Scott Carlisi. “After observing the last 2 encampments (Civil Air Patrol), I felt like Leckman would be a great fit for UMA to mentor cadets, and that he would be an amazing addition to UMA. Leckman has also been wanting to come back to CAP and that would allow him to be with the Black Widows Squadron,” stated Carlisi.

Black Widow Squadron

Not only does he teach at UMA, he has taught Civil Air Patrol (CAP) for the past 14 years. “My favorite part of teaching is passing the skills I have gained through the years of experience to young people who need the information and advice.” 

Outside of work and CAP, Leckman enjoys airsoft and anything with his dog. He is also a NRA rifle instructor. “I have been in the course for 3 years. The NRA course consists of instructing the youth on beginning rifles and marksmanship. The program also teaches the youth about the 2nd amendment and gets the students familiarized with rifles.”

Airsoft Club at a tournament on March 18th

“Lt. Leckman is a very outgoing, amazing teacher and instructor. The school couldn’t have chosen a better airsoft coach then Leckman,” stated cadet Curtis Anderson. Lt. Leckman has surely made a positive impact on the cadets at UMA.