Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 5 AM
    66 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    67 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    73 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    79 °
  • 12 PM
    80 °
  • 1 PM
    82 °
  • 2 PM
    83 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    85 °
  • 5 PM
    85 °
  • 6 PM
    85 °
  • 7 PM
    80 °
  • 8 PM
    75 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    71 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    66 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    64 °
July 27
85°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
July 28
85°/ 64°
Sunny
July 29
87°/ 62°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Falling in Icarus

Kaycie Payne’s Experiment With Art Shows

February 1st, 2024; Kaycie Payne was accepted into the Biennial Black and White Competition Exhibit hosted at the Eccles Art Center. The showing was on Friday, February 2nd, 2024. 

This art show is a professional community ran contest. The contest has been annually run for 15 years. Cadet Kaycie Payne is the youngest artist to be accepted into the show.

Sophomore Kaycie Payne is one talented cadet. She first started her love for art her freshman year. “I started art my freshman year in Mrs. Carter’s Portrait and Figure drawing.” Payne’s main focus point for drawing is Anatomy. 

“My motivation for this drawing was because I really like Greek Mythology. I wanted to do an anatomy style due to the artwork that surrounds anatomy. With my motivation, that inspired the name for my artwork; Falling of Icarus. However, I submitted this piece because Mrs. Carter forced me.”

Mrs. Carter and Cadet Payne show off Falling in Icarus

Payne was in MSgt. Jimenez’s JROTC class when she got accepted. As soon as she found out, she got excused to go to Mrs. Carter’s room to tell her the big news! “I was not surprised because her skill outweighs any student I have seen. I was proud of her bravery and proud of her success and techniques,” stated Mrs. Carter. 

With such an amazing experience, Cadet Payne feels like this will help her get more recognized in the future; and hopefully get accepted into more showings. Fortunately, both Mrs. Carter and Kaycie Payne got accepted into Women: The Creative Edge Competition Exhibit; located in Ogden. 

Payne submitted 2 art pieces to the contest, “Falling for Love” and “The Lovers”. Then, Mrs. Carter and Payne did a collaboration named “Oh HELL NO!”

Falling For Love by Kaycie Payne

Oh HELL NO by Mrs. Carter and Kaycie Payne

“Take art with Mrs. Carter. You won’t regret it,” stated Payne. Taking part in the art program will help excel future experiences. Most importantly, always remember that trial and error is the best learning mechanism.