Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 12 AM
    52 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
  • 3 AM
    50 °
  • 4 AM
    50 °
  • 5 AM
    50 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    53 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    61 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    63 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    66 °
  • 6 PM
    65 °
  • 7 PM
    61 °
  • 8 PM
    58 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
  • 10 PM
    53 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
May 13
70°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
May 14
66°/ 49°
Sunny
May 15
62°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Physics Teacher Sparks Reaction

Mr. Warner is great addition to science department
Mr.+Alan+Warner+distributes+material+to+his+physics+class.+
Mr. Alan Warner distributes material to his physics class.

The Utah Military Academy has been added to the science department over the last two years. Among this list is Alan Warner. Mr. Warner teaches a plethora of classes, including seventh grade sciences, high school physics and oceanography. While being a popular teacher, many cadets don’t entirely know his story and how he came to UMA.

Mr. Warner has gone above and beyond in his conquest of knowledge. “I went to Utah State University for my first two degrees, and Western Governors University for my Masters degree. My first degree is a Bachelors in Natural Resources, Fisheries and Wildlife with emphasis in Wildlife Damage Management. My second degree is my teaching degree, a Bachelors in Composite Teaching – Physical Science. My Masters is in Science Education with emphasis in Geosciences.”

“I became a teacher because I had three very influential teachers during my educational experience that greatly impacted my life and helped shape my future. Because of their examples of going above and beyond to help students, and being excellent role models as well as positive influences in many people’s lives, I decided I wanted to give back some of what was given to me, and provide additional opportunities for others to become successful, however I could.”

What many cadets don’t know about this teacher is that he taught his daughter, who would later win the senior division of the DuPont Challenge Science Competition. Due to this, Mr. Warner and his daughter were flown to Washington D.C. where they both had the opportunity to meet President Barack Obama, Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. 

“I chose UMA because of the philosophy of training tomorrow’s leaders today, and the Core Values of Integrity, Service and Excellence. Not only that, but the smaller school size makes UMA more like a family; smaller class sizes means cadets receive personalized instruction and individual help when needed. It really helps everyone to feel more a part of the team.”