Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 1 PM
    62 °
  • 2 PM
    63 °
  • 3 PM
    64 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    64 °
  • 6 PM
    63 °
  • 7 PM
    60 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
  • 10 PM
    53 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    51 °
  • 1 AM
    51 °
  • 2 AM
    50 °
  • 3 AM
    50 °
  • 4 AM
    49 °
  • 5 AM
    49 °
  • 6 AM
    49 °
  • 7 AM
    51 °
  • 8 AM
    54 °
  • 9 AM
    56 °
  • 10 AM
    58 °
  • 11 AM
    59 °
  • 12 PM
    61 °
  • 1 PM
    62 °
May 14
65°/ 50°
Sunny
May 15
63°/ 48°
Sunny
May 16
66°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

New JROTC Memorandum Posted March 26

JROTC Cadet Staff Revises Regulations on Position Caps and Rank Requirements
Cadet+Kimberlin+Wright+has+her+rank+pinned+on+by+Lt.+Leckman+and+her+grandmother+during+a+promotion+ceremony.+
Cadet Kimberlin Wright has her rank pinned on by Lt. Leckman and her grandmother during a promotion ceremony.

During the week of March 25th, the Utah Military Academy JROTC Cadet Staff posted a new memorandum regarding promotions and rank requirements. This document, entitled “Wing Caps and Promotion Requirements” was posted to the JROTC board on March 26th. The document was a collaboration between Wing Commander and Cadet Colonel Mallorie Andersen, Cadet Captain Lucas Innocenzi, and Cadet Captain Arthur Klingenberg.

The memorandum outlines and defines position caps and rank requirements. These regulations will have a major impact across the wing, laying out how ranks will work for the coming years.You can also find the new document for the new standards here.

The memorandum also changes the way cadets will apply for promotions at the end of each term. The new system will ask cadets to access the promotion form online. The link to promotion forms is available here.  Below are some of the highlighted changes, but it is recommended that all cadets make themselves familiar with the new standards. 

One of the new changes allows Staff Sergeants through Master Sergeants to apply for 2nd Lieutenant. The new rules have reclassified how promoting through ranks works. Please reference figure 1 of Section One in the updated standards. In the old system, a cadet first had to be promoted up to Chief before getting to officer ranks. UT – 20141 HQ did this to align with how ranking up in the actual military works. Typically, if a cadet is first enlisted, the cadet will progress through the lower Sergeant ranks and then look at becoming an officer to continue up. A Senior NCO’s would never attempt to go officer because at their point in their career, it no longer makes sense.

Other new changes include how Positions Caps work. Position Caps are the maximum positions that a person can advance in the Student Wing within a grade level. For example, a sophomore’s Position Cap would be a Flight Commander, the highest position they could achieve during their tenth grade year.

There are now non-position caps and position caps. Please reference Sections 2, 4, and 5. The way it works is, the cadet will follow the cap for the position (if you have one), otherwise you follow the non position caps. UT – 20141 HQ enforced the new standard to remove the previous prevalence of exceptions to policies that were rampant through the wing.

Chief Master Sergeant now requires a 3.5 term GPA to apply and is considered similar to Colonel in importance. UT – 20141 HQ changed this to make the Senior NCO ranks matter and have similar status that the high officer ranks have. Achieving high Senior NCO ranks are true accomplishments and in organizations like the US Air Force. It takes entire careers to achieve them. Similar changes have occurred to every rank, and it is recommended to read section 3 to see all the changes. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send Lieutenant Colonel Woodbrey an email with them. He and the wider cadet wing staff are happy to answer any questions you may have. There is also section 6 which is Q&A for common questions.