Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 7 AM
    52 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    60 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    63 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
  • 3 PM
    65 °
  • 4 PM
    65 °
  • 5 PM
    65 °
  • 6 PM
    64 °
  • 7 PM
    61 °
  • 8 PM
    57 °
  • 9 PM
    55 °
  • 10 PM
    53 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    51 °
  • 1 AM
    51 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
  • 3 AM
    50 °
  • 4 AM
    50 °
  • 5 AM
    49 °
  • 6 AM
    50 °
  • 7 AM
    52 °
May 14
65°/ 49°
Sunny
May 15
64°/ 49°
Sunny
May 16
66°/ 49°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

UMA Beginnings – Building Choice

As a part of exploring the ten year history of Utah Military Academy, the journalism staff attempted to find out information about the events that occurred at the outset of the school here in Riverdale. One of the first decisions that had to be made regarding the new Utah Military Academy was where the school would be established.

Starting in 2014, the building that was selected for Utah Military Academy – Hill Field was originally a Christian academy, called Christian Heritage School. A small, one-floor building with an unfinished second floor close to Hill Airforce Base seemed a perfect place to start up the school, according to MAJ. Workman, the Commandant of Cadets. “There weren’t a lot of options…one of the places we were looking at was torn down.” 

Originally, Workman and Executive Director Matt Throckmorton leased only half of the building,with use of the cafeteria and the science rooms. Within the second year, the school gained a lease for the rest of the building to accommodate the approximately 300+ cadets who were enrolled. 

Three and a half years ago, UMA purchased the whole building with about 500+ cadets attending. Shortly after purchase, the board of trustees arranged for the building to be remodeled, including the upstairs which had been used for a variety of classes and activities. There were four classes conducted upstairs, including archery and air rifle. The northern side was used for the food banks, along with the CTE hallway which was all combined together. The initial remodel created some new science areas and classroom spaces on the first floor. The second floor remodel created the English wing of four classrooms, the four JROTC classrooms and drill pad, and a renovated archery and marksmanship range. 

Utah Military Academy continues to make plans for renovation, including plans to make a teen  center. It will be used for the kids who wait around after school to be picked up by their parents.This will allow cadets a safe place to wait, especially during the winter when it is too cold to be outside.

Most importantly, many of the renovations and additions to the building are being made for safety, including improved video monitoring systems and secure access areas. The school wants to be a safe learning environmennt for both staff and students. As MAJ. Workman explains, “Everything we do is made to be safer and better for the cadets.”