Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    68 °
  • 2 AM
    68 °
  • 3 AM
    68 °
  • 4 AM
    68 °
  • 5 AM
    66 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    67 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    73 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    79 °
  • 12 PM
    80 °
  • 1 PM
    82 °
  • 2 PM
    83 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    85 °
  • 5 PM
    85 °
  • 6 PM
    85 °
  • 7 PM
    80 °
  • 8 PM
    75 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    71 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
July 26
84°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
July 27
85°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
July 28
85°/ 64°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Back to School Night 2023

Spending Time with Friends
Cadets enjoy the activities of Back-to-School Night on August 30th.

“Back to School Night was a showcase of UMAs’ unique culture,” Benjamin Carter, the Junior High SBO president said.

A traditional part of Back-to-School Night is the Raider-led Rope Bridge. Cadets and community members are encouraged to participate.

An accurate way to encapsulate our school Back-to-School Night, UMA does a lot of things differently from regular schools. Though UMA conducts their event after school starts, the night is an opportunity of parents to meet teachers, for cadets to show off the activities that they are participating in, and for cadets to see all the unique things that make up UMA. Back to School Night marks the time of the year when the schedules are finalized and the activities are recruiting members for the year. 

A water-logged Major Curtis recovers from his dousing in the dunk tank.

This year back to school night consisted of many different aspects of the school such as a variety of JROTC displays. There were also sports teams presenting their skills and holding demonstrations for other cadets. Other than activities and meeting teachers, there were refreshments available with a couple of food trucks and a UMA refreshment stand in the foyer, provided by the Student Body Officers of UMA.

Cadets prepare to launch a rocket. Back-to-School Night is an opportunity for the variety of Team Times groups to share their activities.

Not only was the event a good time for cadets, it was also designed as a way to recruit new students to Utah Military Academy. Students from Good Foundations Academy, the elementary school across the street were invited to share in the festivities. The night encourages Good Foundations Academy students to join UMA. All the demonstrations and activities are a great way to let GFA students get a feel of UMA. GFA students might also get to meet cadets that they will be attending school with in the future.

Another regular part of Back-to-School Night is the Rock Climbing Wall. The rock wall is sponsored by the Army National Guard.
Engineering instructor Sgt. Riding taunts the crowd during his turn in the dunk tank.

Coming to a new school can be hard. Another reason for the activities of the evening is to offer an easy way to get settled in and feel more comfortable around your peers. For cadets who are already accustomed to UMA, it gives them a chance to reach out to someone who may seem new or lost and help them out.

Members of the service-oriented Latinos in Action set up a translation services station for community guests who need them.

Going to Back to School Night with friends was a good way to bond or just hang out. The more people that attend, the better the experience is.