Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 5 AM
    66 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    67 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    73 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    79 °
  • 12 PM
    80 °
  • 1 PM
    82 °
  • 2 PM
    83 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    85 °
  • 5 PM
    85 °
  • 6 PM
    85 °
  • 7 PM
    80 °
  • 8 PM
    75 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    71 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    66 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
  • 5 AM
    64 °
July 27
85°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
July 28
85°/ 64°
Sunny
July 29
87°/ 62°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Fly, Fight, Win

Examining the PT Requirements for Air Force
The Raider team is UMA’s closest program to actual military workouts, the range wide.

The Utah Military Academy has numerous focuses for its cadets. One main focus is the cadet’s physical fitness scores, training every Friday in the JROTC class. The reason for this is that those interested in the military have a way to train and prepare for the requirements that the military has.

Each branch of the military is different in the ways that they prepare you for different responsibilities. Though at UMA the requirements are set by the Air Force, there are many career paths inside of the military branches that require a lot more of an intense requirement to a person’s physical requirement. The types of physical requirements and scores are different depending on the branch.  And these scores are different for the enlisted side of the military then the scores required for an officer.

Physical requirements are the center point of the military, allowing individuals to execute orders cleanly and proficiently, while also giving off the proper public image of the military. While it is important for the military, it is even more important for one’s own health. Mr. Storm, formerly known as Staff Sergeant David Storm, said “Physical fitness requirements make sure that everyone is fit enough to do the jobs they are required to do. Filtering in the military is when the military has too many people in one job that the military will increase their standards so those who go above and beyond will earn the job while those who do not succeed will be put into other positions.”

The Air Force’s mission is to provide air power and authority when needed. In order to uphold this standard, Airmen and above must stay in great shape. According to the Air Force handbook governing basic training and physical fitness requirements, the entry level fitness requirements are stated for males: must be able to run a 1.5 mile run in at least 11:57 minutes, be able to perform 42 sit-ups in 1 minute or 39 for ages 30-39, and 27 push-ups in 1 minute. For females: must be able to run 1.5 miles in 14:26, 38 sit-ups in 1 minute or 29 for ages 30-39, and 18 push-ups in 1 minute or 14 for ages 30-39.

For officers in the Air Force, the requirement is drastically different. While many of these requirements are based on the agency the commission is provided by, there is still a large distinction between enlisted and officers. The biggest issue with direct numbers is that it applies to everyone differently based on weight and height.

For example, those wishing to attend the United States Air Force Academy, you must undergo a series of different workouts which includes a basketball throw, pull-ups/flexed arm hang, shuttle run, modified sit-ups, push-ups, and a one-mile run. Now looking at the requirements for Air Force ROTC commissioning, you are only required to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a one mile run.

To conclude, the Air Force branch upholds their standards of excellence through not just the air-power they provide but with the shape the soldiers are upheld. These requirements are meant for only the Air Force and the Space Force, respectfully, and do not apply to the other branches of the military. For those interested in many of these opportunities such as the Air Force Academy or an ROTC scholarship, do not be afraid to ask questions!