Thunderbird Times

The Student News Site of Utah Military Academy

Thunderbird Times

Thunderbird Times

Ogden

• 4 AM
    68 °
  • 5 AM
    66 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    67 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    73 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    79 °
  • 12 PM
    80 °
  • 1 PM
    82 °
  • 2 PM
    83 °
  • 3 PM
    84 °
  • 4 PM
    85 °
  • 5 PM
    85 °
  • 6 PM
    85 °
  • 7 PM
    80 °
  • 8 PM
    75 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    71 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    67 °
  • 2 AM
    66 °
  • 3 AM
    66 °
  • 4 AM
    65 °
July 27
85°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
July 28
85°/ 64°
Sunny
July 29
87°/ 62°
Sunny
Poll

This poll has ended.

What's Your Favorite Subject?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

UMA’s True Meaning of Christmas

The SBO Decorates for Christmas

Since winter of 2019, the SBO’s have decorated for Christmas in memory of Jaime Navarro.  The idea for this tradition is unique and makes each year special and fun. Even though some cadets don’t know how special it is to this school, it gives a lot of memories.

Years ago, former cadet Jaime Navarro decided to decorate the school with snowflakes and Christmas lights. That year was a fun and meaningful year for a lot of cadets. The next year in January, Jaime Navarro passed away with the flu. Followed by another former cadet, Braxton Graham. 

When Jaime created the now traditional snowflakes, he had done it unaware of the effect it would take on the school. “He was a very creative person– a homemade kind-of guy.” Upholding the memory of the snowflakes, Emiliano Navarro said, “He would be proud of how it came to be.” 

Maj. Curtis said, “A memory for the Navarro family, obviously this kindness became even more poignant when, barely a month later, Jaime passed away from a sudden illness, the same week we also lost Braxton Graham. Those two young promising men were the kind of “lights” that don’t burn out. Thus, the following Christmas the SBO decide to, themselves, make hundreds of snowflakes and hang up lights to honor Jaime.”

During the Christmas season, Jaime Navarro had a really good Christmas tradition, Emiliano said, “He kind of had his spots for the Christmas tree.” Even though it was a rough year of 2020, the Christmas season of 2019 was full of spirit and joy. The SBO makes the Christmas season special each year since that year. The SBO worked very hard on decorating for Christmas; they spend 6-8 hours decorating the halls with not only snowflakes, but streamers, garland, and fun Christmas fun facts. 

“However, in a moment of inspiration, we asked the Student Body to assist, and instead of a few hundred, we ended up with over 1500 snowflakes. Then, in 2021, we lost another very special young man, Johnny Knowles. Johnny was a big fan of tie-dye, rainbows, and colorful patterns, so in Winter we decided to encourage making snowflakes from any pattern, color, or design, and we, yet, again, asked the Student Body to assist, and ended up with snowflakes. We’ve continued that tradition, and I try to save as many of the snowflakes as we can (I still have three in my classroom that were made by Jaime himself, with his name on them).” Maj. Curtis said.

Maj. Curtis said, “Personally I think Jaime, and Braxton, and Johnny, and the sadly far-too-many former Cadets we’ve lost would approve of this tradition as a way of showing that their unique design, and light, aren’t gone just because they are. These Cadets were all supernovas. And, just like all supernovas, their light can never burn out – Especially to those of us lucky enough to remember and see it.”